Redevelopment Economics Impacts
Innovative business owners and organizations are reusing Superfund sites for a variety of purposes that provide much needed jobs and incomes for communities. The table below presents a national estimate of 373 sites where on-site businesses are providing local jobs.
|Estimate of National Economic Impacts ¹|
|Number of Sites||Number of
|373||2,240||$32.6 billion||70,144||$4.9 billion|
Readily available internet and database sources are utilized to create estimates of national totals related to the economic impact of Superfund sites in reuse. Without more extensive research it is not always possible to identify all business names and addresses on site.
Jobs are not the only way communities benefit when Superfund sites are cleaned up. The report What Does the Evidence Say About NPL Listing and Home Prices? Challenges in Applying Property Value Studies to Assess the Benefits of the Superfund Program provides an overview of how cleaning up sites may benefit home prices.
A local impact case study gathers more complete information related to reuse, employment and other economic impacts. While national impact estimates may underestimate jobs, a local impact case study can obtain detailed information about economic benefits for every company present on the site, in addition to unique economic benefits provided by particular uses, such as alternative energy.
Each local impact case study includes a technical appendix that provides an overview of the approaches, assumptions and methodologies used to obtain estimates on local economic benefits.
- Abex Corporation (PDF) (5 pp, 267K)
- Abex Corporation Technical Appendix (PDF) (3 pp, 97K)
- South Andover (PDF) (6 pp, 398K)
- South Andover Technical Appendix (PDF) (5 pp, 158K)
- Southside Sanitary Landfill (PDF) (4 pp, 255K)
- Southside Sanitary Landfill Technical Appendix (PDF) (2 pp, 113K)
- Wells G&H (PDF) (5 pp, 285K)
- Wells G&H Technical Appendix (PDF) (4 pp, 134K)
- Benfield Industries (PDF) (5 pp, 365K)
- Benfield Industries Technical Appendix (PDF) (2 pp, 358K)
- Joslyn Manufacturing & Supply Co. (PDF) (7 pp, 925K)
- Koppers Coke (PDF) (7 pp, 612K)
- Koppers Coke Technical Appendix (PDF) (3 pp, 104K)
- Macalloy Corporation (PDF) (6 pp, 389K)
- Macalloy Corporation Technical Appendix (PDF) (3 pp, 95K)
- Murray Smelter (PDF) (7 pp, 1.0MB)
- Murray Smelter Technical Appendix (PDF) (3 pp, 287K)
- Solitron Microwave (PDF) (5 pp, 607K)
- Solitron Microwave Technical Appendix (PDF) (2 pp, 273K)
- South Point (PDF) (7 pp, 850K)
- South Point Technical Appendix (PDF) (4 pp, 250K)
- Vertac, Inc. (PDF) (8 pp, 610K)
- Vertac, Inc. Technical Appendix (PDF) (1 pg, 78K)
- Del Amo (PDF) (9 pp, 1.5MB)
- Del Amo Technical Appendix (PDF) (35 pp, 469K)
- Pacific Sound Resources (PDF) (8 pp, 1.3MB)
- Pacific Sound Resources Technical Appendix (PDF) (4 pp, 392K)
- Universal Oil Products (Chemical Division) (PDF) (6 pp, 1.2MB)