Results and Reports
EPA's enforcement and compliance assurance program is focused on producing measurable results that further the Agency's mission of protecting human health and the environment. Though the focus is on producing measurable outcomes, program activities (i.e., outputs) such as inspections, compliance assistance delivered and use of incentive policies are still measured. Program managers use these output measures as short-term indicators of program performance, and in longer term trend analyses. The program continues to expand its use of outcome measures, such as pounds of pollution reduced and behavior change (e.g., improvements to environmental management practices) that result from compliance assurance activities. This is reflected in the Agency strategic plan and the program's Government Performance Results Act (GPRA) measures. The accomplishments of the enforcement and compliance assurance program are reported in a variety of documents, which are described below.
At the end of each fiscal year, EPA announces the results of compliance assurance and enforcement activities. Annual results of the compliance and enforcement program and highlights of specific accomplishments are available below. Another presentation of the program's results can be found in the compliance assurance and enforcement Accomplishment Reports.
Compliance Assistance Results
EPA publishes an annual summary of the Agency's compliance assistance activities and results.
EPA and State Performance Reports
- The Clean Water Act (CWA) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Enforcement program performance Web based tool provides federal and state enforcement of non-compliance statistics for permitted facilities.
- The Clean Air Act (CAA) Enforcement program performance Web based tool provides federal and state enforcement of non-compliance statistics for permitted facilities.
- The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Enforcement program performance Web based tool provides federal and state enforcement of non-compliance statistics for permitted facilities.
- The State Review Framework reports provide information on Clean Water Act (CWA), Clean Air Act (CAA) and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) enforcement and compliance assurance programs. These reports are submitted by all 54 states and territories, including those states/territories where EPA directly administers the permitting and enforcement program.
The Government Performance and Results Act
The Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA) requires that each agency report annually to Congress on the results of its activities in each fiscal year.
High Priority Performance Goal
A High Priority Performance Goal (HPPG) is a measurable commitment that represents high priorities for EPA; has high relevance to the public or reflects the achievement of key EPA missions; and will produce significant, measurable results over the next 12 to 24 months.
These measurement tools have either been used by EPA employees or, are intended as a list of generic questions to be modified to assess the results of specific compliance activities or projects
National Enforcement Trends
The National Enforcement Trends (NETs) report is a set of tables and graphs that describe EPA's national enforcement and compliance results and trends. Both tables and graphs are included in NETs pages to provide flexibility and encourage use in communications and related efforts. In addition, each chart has background information that provides an explanation as to how the data are counted, highlighting specific changes or circumstances which impact the results. Some of the NETs data are similar to the Annual Results data discussed above, however, the NETs data are generally presented for different time periods, include graphs, and provide background information, which the Annual Results data do not.
National Public Water Systems Compliance Report
Each year EPA reports about drinking water violations at American's public water system (PWS). The report summarizes each State's drinking water violations at public water systems within its jurisdiction, and discusses the violations at public water systems on Indian reservations. The report also includes EPA's enforcement and compliance assistance activities with respect to Tribal public water systems and describes the financial assistance EPA in providing safe drinking water to Tribes.
- Annual Results
- Compliance Assistance Results
- EPA and State Performance Reports
- Government Performance and Results Act
- High Priority Performance Goal
- Measurement Tools
- National Enforcement Trends
- National Public Water Systems Compliance Report